Foundations of Earth Science (8th Edition)
Foundations of Earth Science, eighth edition, is a collegelevel text designed for an introductory course in Earth science. It consists of seven units that emphasize broad and up-to-date coverage of basic topics and principles in geology, oceanography, meteorology, and astronomy. The book is intended to be a meaningful, nontechnical survey for undergraduate students who may have a modest science background. Usually these students are taking an Earth science class to meet a portion of their college’s or university’s general requirements.
In addition to being informative and up-to-date, Foundations of Earth Science, eighth edition, strives to meet the need of beginning students for a readable and user-friendly text and a highly usable tool for learning basic Earth science principles and concepts.
New and Important Features
This eighth edition is an extensive and thorough revision of Foundations of Earth Science that integrates improved textbook resources with new online features to enhance the learning experience:
• Significant updating and revision of content. A basic function of a college science textbook is to present material in a clear, understandable way that is accurate, engaging, and up-to-date. In the long history of this textbook, our number-one goal has always been to keep Foundations of Earth Science current, relevant, and highly readable for beginning students. To that end, every part of this text has been examined carefully. Many discussions, case studies, examples, and illustrations have been updated and revised.
• SmartFigures that make Foundations much more than a traditional textbook. Through its many editions, an important strength of Foundations of Earth Science has always been clear, logically organized, and well-illustrated explanations. Now, complementing and reinforcing this strength are a series of SmartFigures. Simply by scanning a SmartFigure with a mobile device and Pearson’s BouncePages Augmented Reality app (available for iOS and Android), students can follow hundreds of unique and innovative avenues that will increase their insight and understanding of important ideas and concepts. SmartFigures are truly art that teaches! This eighth edition of Foundations has more than 200 SmartFigures, of five different types:
1. SmartFigure Tutorials. Each of these 2- to 4-minute features, prepared and narrated by Professor Callan Bentley, is a mini-lesson that examines and explains the concepts illustrated by the figure.
2. SmartFigure Mobile Field Trips. Scattered throughout this new edition are 24 video field trips that explore classic sites from Iceland to Hawaii. On each trip you will accompany geologist-pilot-photographer Michael Collier in the air and on the ground to see and learn about landscapes that relate to discussions in the chapter.
3. SmartFigure Condor Videos. The 10 Condor videos take you to locations in the American West. By coupling aerial footage acquired by a drone aircraft with ground-level views, effective narratives, and helpful animations, these videos will engage you in real-life case studies.
4. SmartFigure Animations. Scanning the many figures with this designation brings art to life. These animations and accompanying narrations illustrate and explain many difficult-to-visualize topics and ideas more effectively than static art alone.
5. SmartFigure Videos. Rather than provide a single image to illustrate an idea, these figures include short video clips that help illustrate such diverse subjects as mineral properties and the structure of ice sheets.
• Revised active learning path. Foundations of Earth Science is designed for learning. Every chapter begins with Focus on Concepts. Each numbered learning objective corresponds to a major section in the chapter.
The statements identify the knowledge and skills students should master by the end of the chapter and help students prioritize key concepts. Within the chapter, each major section concludes with Concept Checks that allow students to check their understanding and comprehension of important ideas and terms before moving on to the next section. Two end-of-chapter features complete the learning path. Concepts in Review coordinates with the Focus on Concepts at the start of the chapter and with the numbered sections within the chapter. It is a readable and concise overview of key ideas, with photos, diagrams, and questions that also help students focus on important ideas and test their understanding of key concepts. Chapters conclude with Give It Some Thought. The questions and problems in this section challenge learners by involving them in activities that require higher-order thinking skills, such as application, analysis, and synthesis of chapter material.
• An unparalleled visual program. In addition to more than 100 new, high-quality photos and satellite images, dozens of figures are new or have been redrawn by the gifted and highly respected geoscience illustrator Dennis Tasa. Maps and diagrams are frequently paired with photographs for greater effectiveness. Further, many new and revised figures have additional labels that narrate the process being illustrated and guide students as they examine the figures. Overall, the visual program of this text is clear and easy to understand.
|Download Ebook||Read Now||File Type||Upload Date|
|September 1, 2017|
Do you like this book? Please share with your friends, let's read it !! :)How to Read and Open File Type for PC ?