Fundamentals of Structural Analysis 5th Edition
This text introduces engineering and architectural students to the basic techniques required for analyzing the majority of structures and the elements of which most structures are composed, including beams, frames, trusses, arches, and cables. Although the authors assume that readers have completed basic courses in statics and strength of materials, we briefly review the basic techniques from these courses the first time we mention them. To clarify the discussion, we use many carefully chosen examples to illustrate the various analytic techniques introduced, and whenever possible, we select examples confronting engineers in real life
Features of This Text
1. Major reorganization. The number of chapters has been reduced from 18 in the previous editions to 16 for a more concise presentation of the materials. This is done by combining the cable and arch chapters into one as well as presenting the influence lines for both determinate and indeterminate structures in one chapter to avoid repeating information.
2. Expanded treatment of design loads. Chapter 2 is devoted to a discussion of loads based on the most recent ANSI/ASCE 7 Standard. This includes dead and live loads, snow, earthquake, and wind loads, and, new to this edition (and the ASCE Standard), tsunami loading. Further, a discussion on natural hazards and the ASCE Standard’s probabalistic approach to natural hazard design loads is added. The presentation aims to provide students with a basic understanding of how design loads are determined for practical design of multistory buildings, bridges, and other structures.
3. New homework problems. A substantial number of the problems are new or revised for this edition (in both metric and U.S. Customary System units), and many are typical of analysis problems encountered in practice. The many choices enable the instructor to select problems suited for a particular class or for a particular emphasis.
4. Computer problems and applications. Computer problems, some new to this edition, provide readers with a deeper understanding of the structural behavior of trusses, frames, arches, and other structural systems. These carefully tailored problems illustrate significant aspects of structural behavior that, in the past, experienced designers needed many years of practice to understand and to analyze correctly. The computer problems are identified with a computer screen icon and begin in Chapter 4 of the text. The computer problems can be solved using the Educational Version of the commercial software RISA-2D that is available to users at the textbook website. However, any software that produces shear, moment, and axial load diagrams, and deflected shapes can be used to solve the problems. An overview on the use of the RISA-2D software and an author-written tutorial are also available at the textbook website.
5. Problem solutions have been carefully checked for accuracy. The authors have carried out multiple checks on the problem solutions but would appreciate hearing from users about any ambiguities or errors. Corrections can be sent to Professor Chia-Ming Uang ([email protected]).
6. Textbook web site. A text-specific website is available to users. The site offers an array of tools, including lecture slides, an image bank of the text’s art, helpful web links, and the RISA-2D educational software.
|Download Ebook||Read Now||File Type||Upload Date|
|Download Now here||Read Now
|August 28, 2018|
Do you like this book? Please share with your friends, let's read it !! :)How to Read and Open File Type for PC ?