Microbiology: An Introduction (13th Edition)
Since the publication of the first edition nearly 30 years ago, well over 1 million students have used Microbiology: An Introduction at colleges and universities around the world, making it the leading microbiology textbook for non-majors. The thirteenth edition continues to be a comprehensive beginning text, assuming no previous study of biology or chemistry. The text is appropriate for students in a wide variety of programs, including the allied health sciences, biological sciences, environmental science, animal science, forestry, agriculture, nutrition science, and the liberal arts. The thirteenth edition has retained the features that have made this book so popular:
• An appropriate balance between microbiological fundamentals and applications, and between medical applications and other applied areas of microbiology. Basic microbiological principles are given greater emphasis, and health-related applications are featured.
• Straightforward presentation of complex topics. Each section of the text is written with the student in mind.
• Clear, accurate, and pedagogically effective illustrations and photos. Step-by-step diagrams that closely coordinate with narrative descriptions aid student comprehension of concepts.
• Flexible organization. We have organized the book in what we think is a useful fashion while recognizing that the material might be effectively presented in other sequences. For instructors who wish to use a different order, we have made each chapter as independent as possible and have included numerous cross-references. The Instructor’s Guide provides detailed guidelines for organizing the material in several other ways.
• Clear presentation of data regarding disease incidence. Graphs and other disease statistics include the most current data available.
• Big Picture core topic features. These two-page spreads focus on the most challenging topics for students tomaster: metabolism (Chapter 5), genetics (Chapter 8), and immunology (Chapter 16). Each spread breaks down these important concepts into manageable steps and gives students a clear learning framework for the related chapters. Each refers the student to a related MicroFlix video accessible through MasteringMicrobiology.
• Big Picture disease features. These two-page spreads appear within each chapter in Part Four, Microorganisms and Human Disease (Chapters 21–26), as well as Chapters 18 (Practical Applications of Immunology) and 19 (Disorders of the Immune System). Each spread focuses on one significant public health aspect of microbiology.
• ASM guidelines. The American Society for Microbiology has released six underlying concepts and 27 related topics to provide a framework for key microbiological topics deemed to be of lasting importance beyond the classroom. The thirteenth edition explains the themes and competencies at the beginning of the book and incorporates callouts when chapter content matches one of these 27 topics. Doing so addresses two key challenges: it helps students and instructors focus on the enduring principles of the course, and it provides another pedagogical tool for instructors to assess students’ understanding and encourage critical thinking.
• Cutting-edge media integration. MasteringMicrobiology (www.masteringmicrobiology.com) provides unprecedented, cutting-edge assessment resources for instructors as well as self-study tools for students. Big Picture Coaching Activities are paired with the book’s Core Topics and Clinical Features. Interactive Microbiology is a dynamic suite of interactive tutorials and animations that teach key concepts in microbiology; and MicroBoosters are brief video tutorials that cover key concepts that some students may need to review or relearn.
New to the Thirteenth Edition
The thirteenth edition focuses on big-picture concepts and themes in microbiology, encouraging students to visualize and synthesize more difficult topics such as microbial metabolism, immunology, and microbial genetics. The thirteenth edition meets all students at their respective levels of skill and understanding while addressing the biggest challenges that instructors face. Updates to the thirteenth edition enhance the book’s consistent pedagogy and clear explanations. Some of the highlights follow.
• Exploring the Microbiome. Each chapter has a new box featuring an aspect of microbiome study related to the chapter. Most feature the human microbiome. The boxes are designed to show the importance of microorganisms in health, their importance to life on Earth, and how research on the microbiome is being done.
• In the Clinic videos accompanying each chapter opener. In the Clinic scenarios that appear at the start of every chapter include critical-thinking questions that encourage students to think as health care professionals would in various clinical scenarios and spark student interest in the forthcoming chapter content. For the thirteenth edition, videos have been produced for the In the Clinic features for Chapters 1 through 20 and are accessible through MasteringMicrobiology.
|Download Ebook||Read Now||File Type||Upload Date|
|May 19, 2018|
Do you like this book? Please share with your friends, let's read it !! :)How to Read and Open File Type for PC ?