Network Security Essentials: Applications and Standards (4th Edition)
In this age of universal electronic connectivity, of viruses and hackers, of electronic eavesdropping and electronic fraud, there is indeed no time at which security does not matter.Two trends have come together to make the topic of this book of vital interest. First, the explosive growth in computer systems and their interconnections via networks has increased the dependence of both organizations and individuals on the information stored and communicated using these systems. This, in turn, has led to a heightened awareness of the need to protect data and resources from disclosure, to guarantee the authenticity of data and messages, and to protect systems from network-based attacks. Second, the disciplines of cryptography and network security have matured, leading to the development of practical, readily available applications to enforce network security.
It is the purpose of this book to provide a practical survey of network security applications and standards.The emphasis is on applications that are widely used on the Internet and for corporate networks, and on standards (especially Internet standards) that have been widely deployed.
This book is intended for both an academic and a professional audience. As a textbook, it is intended as a one-semester undergraduate course on network security for computer science, computer engineering, and electrical engineering majors. It covers the material in IAS2 Security Mechanisms, a core area in the Information Technology body of knowledge; and NET4 Security, another core area in the Information Technology body of knowledge. These subject areas are part of the Draft ACM/IEEE Computer Society Computing Curricula 2005. The book also serves as a basic reference volume and is suitable for self-study.
PLAN OF THE BOOK
The book is organized in three parts: Part One. Cryptography: A concise survey of the cryptographic algorithms and protocols underlying network security applications, including encryption, hash functions, digital signatures, and key exchange.
Part Two. Network Security Applications: Covers important network security tools and applications, including Kerberos, X.509v3 certificates, PGP, S/MIME, IP Security, SSL/TLS, SET, and SNMPv3.
Part Three. System Security: Looks at system-level security issues, including the threat of and countermeasures for intruders and viruses and the use of firewalls and trusted systems. In addition, this book includes an extensive glossary, a list of frequently used acronyms, and a bibliography. Each chapter includes homework problems, review questions, a list of key words, suggestions for further reading, and recommended Web sites. In addition, a test bank is available to instructors.
ONLINE DOCUMENTS FOR STUDENTS
For this new edition, a tremendous amount of original supporting material has been made available online in the following categories.
• Online chapters: To limit the size and cost of the book, two chapters of the book are provided in PDF format.This includes a chapter on SNMP security and one on legal and ethical issues.The chapters are listed in this book’s table of contents.
• Online appendices: There are numerous interesting topics that support material found in the text but whose inclusion is not warranted in the printed text. Seven online appendices cover these topics for the interested student.The appendices are listed in this book’s table of contents.
• Homework problems and solutions: To aid the student in understanding the material, a separate set of homework problems with solutions are provided.These enable the students to test their understanding of the text.
• Supporting documents: A variety of other useful documents are referenced in the text and provided online.
• Key papers: Twenty-Four papers from the professional literature, many hard to find, are provided for further reading. Purchasing this textbook new grants the reader six months of access to this online material.
|Download Ebook||Read Now||File Type||Upload Date|
|Download here||Read Now|
|April 19, 2018|
Do you like this book? Please share with your friends, let's read it !! :)How to Read and Open File Type for PC ?