Pocket Companion for Physical Examination and Health Assessment, 7e
Book PrefacePocket Companion for Physical Examination and Health Assessment, 7e
The seventh edition of Pocket Companion for Physical Examination and Health Assessment is designed for two groups—those who need a practical clinical reference and those acquiring beginning assessment skills. First, the Pocket Companion is intended as an adjunct to Jarvis’ Physical Examination and Health Assessment, 7th edition. The Pocket Companion is a memory prompt for those who have studied physical assessment and wish to have a reminder when in the clinic. The Pocket Companion has all the essentials— health history points, exam steps for each body system, normal versus abnormal findings, heart sounds, lung sounds, neurologic checks. The Pocket Companion is useful when you forget a step in the exam sequence, when you wish to be sure your assessment is complete, when you need to review the findings that are normal versus abnormal, or when you are faced with an unfamiliar technique or a new clinical area. Its portable size and binding make it perfect for a lab coat pocket or community health bag.
Second, the Pocket Companion, 7th edition, is an independent primer of basic assessment skills. It is well suited to programs offering a beginning assessment course covering well people of all ages. The Pocket Companion has the complete steps to perform a health history and physical examination on a well person. It includes pertinent developmental content for pediatric, pregnant, and aging adult patients. Although the description of each exam step is stated concisely, there is enough information given to study and learn exam techniques. However, since there is no room in the Pocket Companion for theories, principles, or detailed explanations, students using the Pocket Companion as a beginning text must have a thorough didactic presentation of assessment methods as well as tutored practice.
The Pocket Companion, 7th edition, is revised and updated to match the revision of the parent text, Physical Examination and Health Assessment, 7th edition, including many new examination photos, abnormal findings photos, and fullcolor art. The following tables of
Abnormal Findings are also new to the 7th edition:
• Anxiety Disorders
• Common Sites of Referred Abdominal Pain
• Abnormalities Affecting Multiple Joints
• Abnormal Postures
• Abnormalities of the Anal Region
A new section on the Electronic Health Record has been integrated into Chapter 21, Bedside Assessment of the Hospitalized Adult. This section outlines charting, and narrative recording provides examples of how to document assessment findings. For those times when readers need detailed coverage of a particular technique or finding, it is easily found through numerous cross-references to pages in Physical Examination and Health Assessment, 7th edition. As you thumb through the Pocket Companion, note these features:
• Health history and exam steps are concise yet complete.
• Method of examination is clear, orderly, and easy to follow.
• Abnormal findings are described briefly in a column adjacent to the normal range of findings.
• Sample charting is now included in all applicable chapters, illustrating the documentation of findings.
• Tables are presented at the end of chapters to fully illustrate important information.
• Selected Cultural Competence information highlights this important aspect of a health assessment.
• Developmental Competence content includes age-specific information for pediatric, pregnant, and aging adult groups.
• Summary checklists for each chapter form a cue card of exam steps to remember.
• Integration of the complete physical examination is presented in Chapter 20.
• Selected artwork from Physical Examination and Health Assessment, 7th edition, illustrates the pertinent anatomy.
1 The Interview and Health History, 1
2 Mental Status, 9
3 Assessment Techniques and the Clinical Setting, 15
4 General Survey, Measurement, Vital Signs, and Pain
5 Skin, Hair, and Nails, 33
6 Head, Face, and Neck, Including Regional Lymphatics, 53
7 Eyes, 61
8 Ears, 79
9 Nose, Mouth, and Throat, 89
10 Breasts and Axillae, Including Regional Lymphatics, 103
11 Thorax and Lungs, 115
12 Heart and Neck Vessels, 131
13 Peripheral Vascular System and Lymphatics, 149
14 Abdomen, 161
15 Musculoskeletal System, 177
16 Neurologic System, 199
17 Male Genitourinary System, 225
18 Female Genitourinary System, 237
19 Anus, Rectum, and Prostate, 253
20 Integration of the Complete Physical Examination, 261
21 Bedside Assessment and Electronic Health Recording, 273
ILLUSTRATION CREDITS, 283
|Download Ebook||Read Now||File Type||Upload Date|
|Download here||Read Now|
|September 3, 2018|
Do you like this book? Please share with your friends, let's read it !! :)How to Read and Open File Type for PC ?