Psychology Applied to Modern Life: Adjustment in the 21st Century 12th Edition
In most college courses, students spend more time with their textbooks than with their professors. Given this reality, it helps if you like your textbook. Making textbooks likable, however, is a tricky proposition. By its very nature, a textbook must introduce a great many new concepts, ideas, and theories. If it doesn’t, it isn’t much of a textbook, and instructors won’t choose to use it—so you’ll never see it anyway. Consequently, we have tried to make this book as likable as possible without compromising the academic content that your instructor demands. Thus, we have tried to make the book lively, informal, engaging, well organized, easy to read, practical, and occasionally humorous. Before you plunge into Chapter 1, let us explain some of the key features that can help you get the most out of the book.
Mastering the content of this text involves digesting a great deal of information. To facilitate this learning process, we’ve incorporated a number of instructional aids into the book.
● Outlines at the beginning of each chapter provide you with both a preview and an overview of what will be covered. Think of the outlines as road maps, and bear in mind that it’s easier to reach a destination if you know where you’re going.
● Headings are used extensively to keep material well organized.
● To help alert you to key points, learning objectives are found throughout the chapters, immediately after the main headings.
● Key terms are identified with blue italicized boldface type to indicate that these are important vocabulary items that are part of psychology’s technical language.
● An integrated running glossary provides an on-the-spot definition of each key term as it’s introduced in the text. These formal definitions are printed in blue boldface type. It is often difficult for students to adapt to the jargon used by scientific disciplines. However, learning this terminology is an essential part of your educational experience. The integrated running glossary is meant to make this learning process as painless as possible.
● An alphabetical glossary is provided in the back of the book, as key terms are usually defined in the running glossary only when they are first introduced. If you run into a technical term that was introduced in an earlier chapter and you can’t remember its meaning, you can look it up in the alphabetical glossary instead of backtracking to find the place where it first appeared.
● Italics are used liberally throughout the book to emphasize important points.
● A chapter review near the end of each chapter includes a thorough summary of the chapter and lists key terms and important theorists, with page references. Reading over these review materials can help ensure that you’ve digested the key points in the chapter.
● Each chapter ends with a ten-item practice test that should give you a realistic assessment of your mastery of that chapter and valuable practice taking multiple-choice tests that will probably be representative of what you will see in class (if your instructor uses the test bank designed for this book).
Recommended Reading Boxes
This text should function as a resource book. To facilitate this goal, particularly interesting self-help books on various topics are highlighted in boxes within the chapters. Each box provides a brief description of the book. We do not agree with everything in these recommended books, but all of them are potentially useful or intriguing. The main purpose of this feature is to introduce you to some of the better self-help books that are available.
Learn More Online
To help make this book a rich resource guide, we have included Learn More Online boxes, which are recommended websites that can provide you with additional information on adjustmentrelated topics. As with the Recommended Reading boxes, we cannot say that we agree with everything posted on these websites, but we think they have some real value. The Learn More Online boxes are dispersed throughout the chapters, adjacent to related topical coverage. Because URLs change frequently, we have not included them for the Learn More Online boxes in the book. If you are interested in visiting these sites, we recommend that you use a search engine, such as Google, to locate the recommended websites.
Personal Explorations Workbook
The Personal Explorations Workbook, which can be found in the very back of the text, contains interesting, thought-provoking experiential exercises for each chapter. These exercises are designed to help you achieve personal insights. The Self-Assessment exercises are psychological tests or scales that you can take, so you can see how you score on various traits discussed in the text. The Self-Reflection exercises consist of questions intended to help you think about issues in your personal life in relation to concepts and ideas discussed in the text. Many students find these exercises to be quite interesting, even fun. Hence, we encourage you to use the Personal Explorations Workbook.
A Concluding Note
We sincerely hope that you find this book enjoyable. If you have any comments or advice that might help us improve the next edition, please write to us in care of the publisher, Cengage Learning, 500 Terry A. Francois Blvd., Second Floor, San Francisco, CA 94158. Finally, let us wish you good luck. We hope you enjoy your course and learn a great deal.
Dana S. Dunn
Elizabeth Yost Hammer
1 Adjusting to Modern Life 1
APPLICATION: Improving Academic Performance 21
2 Theories of Personality 28
APPLICATION: Assessing Your Personality 56
3 Stress and Its Effects 62
APPLICATION: Reducing Stress through Self-Control 87
4 Coping Processes 94
APPLICATION: Using Time More Effectively 115
5 Psychology and Physical Health 122
APPLICATION: Understanding the Effects of Drugs 150
6 The Self 158
APPLICATION: Building Self-Esteem 184
7 Social Thinking and Social Influence 188
APPLICATION: Seeing through Compliance Tactics 214
8 Interpersonal Communication 220
APPLICATION: Developing an Assertive Communication Style 244
9 Friendship and Love 250
APPLICATION: Overcoming Loneliness 271
10 Marriage and the Family 278
APPLICATION: Understanding Intimate Partner Violence 301
11 Gender and Behavior 306
APPLICATION: Gender in the Workplace 329
12 Development and Expression of Sexuality 334
APPLICATION: Enhancing Sexual Relationships 360
13 Careers and Work 366
APPLICATION: Getting Ahead in the Job Game 391
14 Psychological Disorders 398
APPLICATION: Understanding Eating Disorders 423
15 Psychotherapy 428
APPLICATION: Looking For a Therapist 451
16 Positive Psychology 456
APPLICATION: Boosting Your Own Happiness 478
|Download Ebook||Read Now||File Type||Upload Date|
|March 27, 2019|
Do you like this book? Please share with your friends, let's read it !! :)How to Read and Open File Type for PC ?