Sears and Zemansky’s University Physics with Modern Physics, 13th Edition + Solution
This book is the product of more than six decades of leadership and innovation in physics education. When the first edition of University Physics by Francis W. Sears and Mark W. Zemansky was published in 1949, it was revolutionary among calculus-based physics textbooks in its emphasis on the fundamental principles of physics and how to apply them. The success of University Physics with generations of several million students and educators around the world is a testament to the merits of this approach, and to the many innovations it has introduced subsequently.
In preparing this new Thirteenth Edition, we have further enhanced and developed University Physics to assimilate the best ideas from education research with enhanced problem-solving instruction, pioneering visual and conceptual pedagogy, the first systematically enhanced problems, and the most pedagogically proven and widely used online homework and tutorial system in the world.
New to This Edition
• Included in each chapter, Bridging Problems provide a transition between the single-concept Examples and the more challenging end-of-chapter problems. Each Bridging Problem poses a difficult, multiconcept problem, which often incorporates physics from earlier chapters. In place of a full solution, it provides a skeleton Solution Guide consisting of questions and hints, which helps train students to approach and solve challenging problems with confidence.
• All Examples, Conceptual Examples, and Problem-Solving Strategies are revised to enhance conciseness and clarity for today’s students.
• Thecore modern physics chapters (Chapters 38–41) are revised extensively to provide a more idea-centered, less historical approach to the material. Chapters 42–44 are also revised significantly.
• The fluid mechanics chapter now precedes the chapters on gravitation and periodic motion, so that the latter immediately precedes the chapter on mechanical waves.
• Additional bioscience applications appear throughout the text, mostly in the form of marginal photos with explanatory captions, to help students see how physics is connected to many breakthroughs and discoveries in the biosciences.
• The text has been streamlined for tighter and more focused language.
• Using data from MasteringPhysics, changes to the end-of-chapter content include the following:
• 15%–20% of problems are new.
• The number and level of calculus-requiring problems has been increased.
• Most chapters include five to seven biosciences-related problems.
• The number of cumulative problems (those incorporating physics from earlier chapters) has been increased.
• Over 70 PhET simulations are linked to the Pearson eText and provided in the Study Area of the MasteringPhysics website (with icons in the print text). These powerful simulations allow students to interact productively with the physics concepts they are learning. PhET clicker questions are also included on the Instructor Resource DVD.
• Video Tutors bring key content to life throughout the text:
• Dozens of Video Tutors feature “pause-and-predict” demonstrations of key physics concepts and incorporate assessment as the student progresses to actively engage the student in understanding the key conceptual ideas underlying the physics principles.
• Every Worked Example in the book is accompanied by a Video Tutor Solution that walks students through the problem-solving process, providing a virtual teaching assistant on a round-the-clock basis.
• All of these Video Tutors play directly through links within the Pearson eText. Many also appear in the Study Area within MasteringPhysics.
Key Features of University Physics
• Deep and extensive problem sets cover a wide range of difficulty and exercise both physical understanding and problem-solving expertise. Many problems are based on complex real-life situations.
• This text offers a larger number of Examples and Conceptual Examples than any other leading calculus-based text, allowing it to explore problem-solving challenges not addressed in other texts.
• A research-based problem-solving approach (Identify, Set Up, Execute, Evaluate) is used not just in every Example but also in the Problem-Solving Strategies and throughout the Student and Instructor Solutions Manuals and the Study Guide. This consistent approach teaches students to tackle problems thoughtfully rather than cutting straight to the math.
• Problem-Solving Strategies coach students in how to approach specific types of problems.
• The Figures use a simplified graphical style to focus on the physics of a situation, and they incorporate explanatory annotation. Both techniques have been demonstrated to have a strong positive effect on learning.
• Figures that illustrate Example solutions often take the form of black-andwhite pencil sketches, which directly represent what a student should draw in solving such a problem.
• The popular Caution paragraphs focus on typical misconceptions and student problem areas.
• End-of-section Test Your Understanding questions let students check their grasp of the material and use a multiple-choice or ranking-task format to probe for common misconceptions.
• Visual Summaries at the end of each chapter present the key ideas in words, equations, and thumbnail pictures, helping students to review more effectively.
|Download Ebook||Read Now||File Type||Upload Date|
|January 17, 2018|
Do you like this book? Please share with your friends, let's read it !! :)How to Read and Open File Type for PC ?